Tuesday, May 31, 2011

RE: The Law is the Law

It's rare that I bother to open up Forwards in my email. I see that "Fw" tag, and I click delete without opening. This time though, the title made me curious, seeing as it came from a family member, and I wondered if they were trying to tell me something. Let me show it to you.


THE LAW IS THE LAW So "if" the   US government determines that it is against the law for the words "under God" to be on our money, then, so be it. And "if" that same government decides that the "Ten Commandments" are not to be used in or on a government installation, then, so be it. I say, "so be it," because I would like to be a law abiding  US citizen. I say, "so be it," because I would like to think that smarter people than I are in positions to make good decisions. I would like to think that those people have the American public's best interests at heart.   BUT, YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE I'D LIKE? Since we can't pray to God, can't Trust in God and cannot post His Commandments in Government buildings,   I don't believe the Government(Federal, State and Local)  and its employees should participate in the Easter and Christmas celebrations   which honor the God that our government is eliminating from many facets of American life. I'd like my mail delivered on ChristmasGood FridayThanksgiving & Easter. After all, it's just another day. I'd like the"  US Supreme Court to be in session on Christmas, Good Friday, Thanksgiving & Easter as well as Sundays." After all, it's just another day. I'd like the Senate and the House of Representatives to not have to worry about getting home for the "Christmas Break." After all it's just another day. I'm thinking that a lot of my taxpayer dollars could be saved, if all government offices & services would work on Christmas, Good Friday & Easter.   It shouldn't cost any overtime since those would be just like any other day of the week to a government that is trying to be "politically correct."  In fact.... I think that our government should work on Sundays (initially set aside for worshipping God....) because, after all, our government says that  it should be just another day....  What do you all think???? If this idea gets to enough people,maybe our elected officials will stop giving in to the "minority opinions"   and begin, once again,   to represent the "majority" of ALL of the American people. SO BE IT........... Please Dear Lord, Give us the help needed to keep you in our country! 'Amen' and 'Amen'

Interesting ideas. Let's discuss!

"I say, "so be it," because I would like to be a law abiding  US citizen. I say, "so be it," because I would like to think that smarter people than I are in positions to make good decisions. I would like to think that those people have the American public's best interests at heart." --Great! I'm glad you want to be a law abiding citizen. Hopefully our politicians really do have our best interests at heart.

"Since we can't pray to God, can't Trust in God and cannot post His Commandments in Government buildings,   I don't believe the Government (Federal, State and Local)  and its employees should participate in the Easter and Christmas celebrations   which honor the God that our government is eliminating from many facets of American life." --You can pray to and trust in God all you want, that's one of your rights, and it's a good one. Our politicians are also allowed to do that, privately. Publicly, they are representatives of the government, and it's in everyone's best interest if they don't endorse a particular religious view. Yes, a generic god still endorses a particular religious view, since not all religions have a god (Jainism, for example). However, the bit about not participating in Easter and Christmas celebrations? I'm going to be nice, and assume that you're referring to the public celebrations put on by members of government, and not the employee's private lives. So in terms of the public celebrations, Christmas at least has become decidedly secular, and almost seems like two holidays that just happen to occur on the same day: one, the Christian version, and the other, a secular version. One emphasizes the birth of a mythological savior, the other emphasizes peace, harmony, and family get-togethers. I don't see why anyone would have an issue with the secular version. Peace and harmony? Our government could probably use more of that anyway.

Easter now . . . the eggs and the Easter Bunny suggest that it's not entirely Christian, and indeed, historically many of it's traditions are stolen from older religions, but I'm not sure how secular it's become. On the one hand, it almost seems to simply be a way of celebrating the end of winter, and I personally find that something to celebrate! On the other hand, I'm not entirely certain that it's sufficiently divested itself of it's religious traditions, so to have government celebrations of the holiday might be seen as endorsement. Debatable.

"I'd like my mail delivered on ChristmasGood FridayThanksgiving & Easter. After all, it's just another day"--Ok, Good Friday is pure religion, so I'll give you that one. Christmas and Easter, see previous comments. But Thanksgiving? Really? You can be grateful without being grateful to God. You can get together with family and friends to reconnect, have a few laughs, and tell people thank you. I see no reason the government should not endorse that, as it's not a strictly religious value.

"I'd like the"  US Supreme Court to be in session on Christmas, Good Friday, Thanksgiving & Easter as well as Sundays." After all, it's just another day."  --I've commented on the holidays, but now you bring Sunday into it. You're kinda mean, aren't you? Because unless I misread that, you're advocating the Supreme Court work without any days off. I've worked 7 days a week before, and it burns you out after a while. I don't really think it would be good for the country if our top Justices burned out, do you?

"I'd like the Senate and the House of Representatives to not have to worry about getting home for the "Christmas Break." After all it's just another day." --Well, that's oh so very nice of you, but I've dealt with this.

"I'm thinking that a lot of my taxpayer dollars could be saved, if all government offices & services would work on Christmas, Good Friday & Easter.   It shouldn't cost any overtime since those would be just like any other day of the week to a government that is trying to be "politically correct." --I'll let an economist or an accountant deal with the suggested savings, although I'm thinking you might be wrong (but maybe not). I just wanted to address the way you use "politically correct" in quotation marks, suggesting sarcasm at the popular usage of the phrase. Removing  government endorsement of religion is not just about avoiding offense, as the use of that phrase usually indicates. It's not even mostly about avoiding offense. It's about being a government that is truly for everyone. The majority is not everyone, because it obviously excludes the minority. It's about equality, and believing that you can get fair treatment from the government, even if you're, oh, let's say Jewish, as opposed to Christian. That's a little hard to do if you have government employees giving invocations to Jesus as a part of their job, or otherwise endorsing a religious view that I, or someone else (you perhaps), don't agree with.

"I think that our government should work on Sundays (initially set aside for worshipping God....) because, after all, our government says that  it should be just another day...." --Well, actually, it was the seventh day that was set aside, not the first. But that's just me being petty. I will point out that this would probably wipe out any savings from your previous suggestion (more hours, more employees to cover the more hours, electricity bills from electronics being on, heating bills, etc).

"If this idea gets to enough people, maybe our elected officials will stop giving in to the "minority opinions"   and begin, once again, to represent the "majority" of ALL of the American people. " --I'll emphasize what I already said: It's about being a government that is truly for everyone. The majority is not everyone, because it obviously excludes the minority. Equating the "majority" to "all of the American people" is a gross contradiction, as well as just gross. Are you a minority? A woman perhaps, who's sex has previously been treated as second-class citizens (and still is at times)? Do you think maybe you've benefited from the government ignoring religious views about a woman's place? Are you black, or any other non-white color? Would you agree that you've benefited from secular arguments for equality, as opposed to religious ones claiming you're Cain's cursed descendants? Were you born out of wedlock? Take a look at how bastards were treated historically, with government support, and often with religious justification.

Or are you a straight, white male, with all the presumption of privilege that tradition can provide? If so, then perhaps you should try examining things from the perspective of someone without so much privilege.

No comments:

Post a Comment